Southend on Sea Borough Council serves a population of 181,000. It is a socially, ethnically and economically diverse borough, with a thriving arts scene, a variety of recreational and entertainment facilities including a state of the art swimming and diving centre and has a rich cultural heritage. It boasts a Blue Flag beach and a lively tourism industry.
It is currently undergoing an ambitious programme of redevelopment with significant investment in buildings and infrastructure. The Council is moving forward its Southend 2050 initiative, where it has invested in a detailed conversation with the local community so that it can take forward a shared vision for the Borough going forward, which makes this an excellent and exciting time to join the Council. This role, like other senior roles within the Council will be excellently placed to work towards the vision for the Borough.
The vision for Southend that is shaped by Southend2050 will also lead to a far reaching five year delivery plan which is in development but will impact on every strand of Council activity.
The town of Southend has excellent transport links with two mainline rail stations offering a 50 minutes journey into London, two major roads linking us to London and other major towns in the county and London Southend Airport. This rapidly developing airport is not only a gateway to major travel destinations but also to other cities within the UK presenting accessible business and leisure travel. The Council also offers a range of benefits to employees in addition to the advertised salary. These include:
- Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme
- A minimum of 23 days holiday per year, exclusive of statutory bank holidays, rising to a maximum of 28 days after five complete years’ service
- Occupational sick pay
- Generous parental leave arrangements
- Employee Assistance Programme
- CSSC Sports and Leisure benefits with additional access to English Heritage properties
- Discounted work related travel options with the local rail and train companies
- Travel loan scheme
- A range of employee discounts under the Wider Wallet scheme
- Discretionary relocation assistance up to £8,000
- A variety of health cover plans